Once you have segmented your customer base, the question is, “What can I do for my best customers that will drive value for them and us?”
The answer to that question should be captured in an Account Plan, which outlines the relationship and opportunities you have with a key customer.
Here’s what I recommend you include in the Account Plans you write for your Second Stage company:
- History and highlights of the relationship
- Background on relevant people you know at the company
- Description of why they work with your company and why they think you’re valuable
- Immediate and next-year opportunities that you’ve identified, as well as the 3-5 year potential for the relationship
- Likely relationship and engagement for the coming year
- Plan for additional activities to expand or enhance the relationship and engagement in the coming year
You’ll be surprised at how much you learn about your customer and yourself when you write an account plan.